Saturday, February 08, 2003

Another good one from Kitchen Cabinet

This Boston Phoenix article claims that Al Gore beat Bill Bradley in the 2000 New Hampshire primary thanks to a traffic jam purposely created by Gore operatives:

As late as 3 p.m. that day, Gore operatives had access to exit polls showing the vice-president being defeated by Bradley. They also learned that while Democratic voters were voting in large numbers for Gore, independents, many of them upscale suburban voters, were voting for Bradley's sophisticated brand of liberalism. Knowing that Bradley's strength came from tony tech havens such as Bedford, the Gore team organized a caravan to clog highway I-93 with traffic so as to discourage potential Bradley voters from getting to the polls. (Michael Whouley, a chief Gore strategist, recounted the Gore team's Election Day field efforts at a Harvard Kennedy School Institute of Politics symposium.... He knocked down the rumor that they considered overturning an 18-wheeler to clog up traffic.) The caravan — spoken of with awe by operatives who worked on the campaign — had the desired effect. It was harder for Bradley voters to get the polls.The Hotline has reaction from New Hampshire Democratic chair Kathy Sullivan: "All I can say is, if this is true, it's outrageous. It should never have happened. No one should try to make it difficult for anyone to vote. That's just plain wrong, and there's no place for that in either party. I don't get it. I just don't get it. I read the story and I just sat here shaking my head."

And the New York Sun has an editorial on the subject.

It'll be interesting to see how much play this gets.

------

I agree. :}

From the same source:

Dr. Seuss - Top Ten Pick Up Lines

The Top 15 Dr. Seuss Pick-Up Lines
15) "I may not like Green ham or eggs
but I sure love your long, thin legs."

14) "Marvin K. Mooney, will you please come now??!"

13) "From far or near or here or there,
haven't I seen you before somewhere?"

12) "That's not the only place this Sneetch has a star, baby."

11) "Sally from Whoville, what's your sign?
Let's blow this joint--your thneed or mine?"

10) "Y'know, after he stole it, the Grinch hid Christmas in my pants."

9) "I love someone who knows what wine goes with red fish or blue fish."

8) "Is that a cat in your hat or are you just happy to see me?"

7) "I hate this place--the crowd's so phony!
Say, care to ride me like a pony?"

6) "My heart ain't the only thing two sizes too large, if you know what I mean."

5) "On a boat, in a car, with your toes all curled--
Oh the places we'll go when I rock your world!"

4) "How'd you like to be in my next book: 'Great Legs and Ass'?"

3) "I do not like my wife you see.
I do not like her, no sirree.
Her looks accuse, her words disparage,
and so we have this open marriage."

2) "Each book makes a million, a zillion, or three.
Would you, could you, come home with me?"

And the NUMBER ONE Dr. Seuss Pick-Up Line...

1) "In all of Hooterville, where there's Hooters supreme,
yours are the best of the Hooters I've seen!"

-----------

Yet another:

Googlewhacking!

Just discovered this tremendously addicting way to pass the time. The gist is that you try to put two search terms into google that will return only one result. You cannot use quotation marks. If you are successful, the top right hand corner of the blue google search bar will read "Results 1-1 of 1." The rules also dictate that your words must be in dictionary.com. The blue google search bar will indicate if this is true by underlining your two search terms, which appear in the top left hand corner. The first one I found took a few minutes. It was "alimony microburst." I registered it into "The Whack Stack."

Been a busy week. The snow was pretty but melted pretty fast - but we did have some gorgeous large flakes.

went to my "Beaver King" meeting last night - we had a great time. Stayed later with John and June and decompressed. We're all interested in good teaching and often frustrated with why that isn't as valued by our bosses. :{ We'll just keep trying. It's too bad that at all levels of teaching, to move up you have to move away from students. They queried a representative group of our students about what they needed to learn more about. Apparently some of the top responses were American history and American government. However, since the current administrative interest is "global" - the students must not know what they are talking about. They are soon on the path to learning more about other people than themselves. I hate this political correctness c&*). If students don't understand themselves, how are they supposed to understand anyone else? I think some take it for granted that they do/should know this "US stuff" and don't realize that they really don't. I also hate to see students not taken more seriously because they don't know what's best for them. However, when they complain about other things, they are suddenly experts and we as profs know nothing. Oh well. Just some more decompression.

Going with a friend to Joplin today -the nearest mall. Found some Schlotzsky's coupons online.
Wish Quizno's had some. We also hope to go see Chicago tonight. It will also be good to spend some time with her - she's been so busy with work and her kids lately I haven't seen her much. :}

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]