Wednesday, April 30, 2003

My day started off with a student irate about their grade. As with most of these cases, I could have predicted this outcome when this student turned in her first assignment and challenged the basic requirements.

I was very glad last year when a colleague pointed out that people who go into teaching naturally take these things too personally. But it still bothers me when a student gets upset - but not enough to let them bully me into giving them a better grade when they did not do acceptable work for the course.

As if by magic, a student from the same course sent this email when she received news of her grade. It reinforces that some students do understand what college is all about:

I also wanted to let you know that I enjoyed the class immensely and have learned
a great deal, not only about the content covered but also about reading,
interpreting, and writing about history. In addition, I wanted to let you
know how much I appreciate the organization of the class on Blackboard.
After taking other courses online I realize how spoiled I have been in
yours. Thank you again and have a great summer as well!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]