Friday, May 02, 2003

Where did the week go? I was more worn out at the beginning than expected - probably because I had worked all weekend. . . . But it was a much more enjoyable week - more time with friends just doing things like going for a walk and going to lunch. I'm pretty excited about today - I'm going to teach a high school class on using primary sources. The National Archives' Digital Classroom has lots of good ideas. Along with that, I'm working on paperwork for the traveling trunk we're trying to create for Project Mine. The irate student is now directing that at my chair since I told her that is where to go next once grades are official on May 20. She sent a long diatribe telling him to straighten me out and he had to reply with a question "What is the specific problem you're having?" - this from a communications major.

We had our departmental banquet Wednesday night. The obstructionist almost jumped up asking if she could speak after she was already more than appropriately recognized. It was a STUDENT recognition banquet, after all, but that fits with her past behavior. She made it quite obvious she had contempt for some of us in the department and that she was really special because she is now buddies with the dean in her new college. (She doesn't understand simple politeness). But a colleague finally helped her conclude by very accurately pointing out that the good thing about history is that she will always be a part of our past. The obstructionist didn't get it but I sure did. As we work on various paperworks required for students, I'm realizing how much a certain colleague let her take care of his responsibilities and he's not going to like that I pointed out that I assumed he was taking care of this and that, if not, it was obvious that advisers should be doing so. The bottom line - no wonder she thought she could tell students what courses to take when she was told to fill out paperwork that I've never seen anyone but faculty do at three other institutions. Sheesh... problems are always more complex than they apear. Thanks for the venting option - luckily this will no longer be a frontburner topic. I was happily surprised this morning to notice that I woke up WITHOUT a clenched jaw. :} Standing up for what is right, even when it ends up with unintended (but positive) consequences is well worth it.

Tightly Wound has another great entry today and the sham of anti-intellectualism in American life. She also points to a Washington Times review of Diane Ravitch's new book, Language Police.

This entry appears to be a great example of tangential thinking. :}

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]