Sunday, September 28, 2003

Critical Mass: Bake sale doesn't sit well

Critical Mass: Bake sale doesn't sit well: "Bake sale doesn't sit well
In response to my post yesterday on SMU's censored anti-affirmative action bake sale, a reader writes:


I am a 22 year-old African-American college student attending a small private college in Central California, and I believe that the bake sale demonstration by UC Berkeley's College Republicans clearly presented the unfair advantages minority students are given when it comes to college admissions and job placement. I am against affirmative action in some aspects of what it stands for.
As a college student, I would like to believe that I was accepted because of my educational background. And as a working citizen, I would like to believe that I was hired by a company that believed that I was truely qualified for the position that I applied for. With affirmative action, how will I ever know the truth?
By continuing to allow affirmative action to be used in school admissions and job placement, people that support affirmative action are sending a message that minorities need a 'boost' over whites or qualified applicates just because they are minorities. Sending a message like that makes it harder for minorities to prove that they are qualified and they truely deserve to be where they are.

On the other hand, prejudice still exist in our unperfect world. Thou affirmative action may give minorities an unfair advantage over whites, it is still giving minorities a chance to prove themselves in an environment that was mostly dominated by whites.

Now, more minorities are applying to universities and corporate jobs, becasue they know that affirmative action will protect them from prejudices and discrimiation that would have kept them out.

Until someone presents an alternative to affirmative action in a non-colorblind society, people that are totally"


This is not a perspective that gets much play when affirmative action is debated. It ought to. Thanks for writing in.
------------------------

An excellent example of theory being illustrated by applying it to the real world. This is a great response.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]