Monday, March 22, 2004

The Mustang Turns 40

The New York Times has a feature article and online slide show about the pony car. I dated guys that restored them - one specialized in 1965 and the other in 1968. I used to be able to spot the differences from the grill from as far away as I could see the car company. I lived in a small town so both these guys new each other and the second one (2 years in between) wanted to know that I could really tell the difference. I was also able to out-race one of them down the hill to the highway in an Oldsmobile. We didn't talk about that for awhile. I will have a sporty car again someday. I traded in the Grand Am for an Explorer in 1997 and can't live without the Explorer because it easily carries all my stuff. I also remember an olive green mustang sitting on Uncle Gene's front yard whe we were kids - later I knew why it didn't sit on the street. That would have been worth something had they known to keep it (I bet lots of people say that.) Meanwhile, my brother and I will always have to share custody of the 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlas 442 convertible - royal blue with white striping and top. The dealership owner's son didn't want it because it wasn't a hard top and didn't have an 8-track tape player . . . .

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]