Sunday, March 14, 2004

SXSW - continued

It's been a great conference so far. Met Liz Lawley - she is doing some great work on social networks and recently won an NSF grant related to the topic.

The most significant thing here is feeling all the energy in the air - obviously the people doing blogs have something to share whether they characterize themselves as people people or not. I've met interesting people just trying to plug in to keep the batteries charged. Am now sitting in the same row as someone who corresponded with their city councilman here in Austin about the warning in the program that plugging into electricity may result in a fine of $90. He's pretty sure the buliding is running off of green electricity and it really doesn't make any sense in the pr department for a conference like this - esp. since Austin is such a progressive city.

There's a lot of thinking outside the box and that is a nice break from what I've been dealing with lately - and, in fact, overwhelmed by, lately.

I setup a typepad blog for Dad as a much easier and faster way to get his web site up in the traditional static format. I am tempted to switch this blog over. I did some checking and the upgrades for blogger since it was purchased by Google appear to have been ripped away. I need to understand templates better so that I am able to have a list of links as well as posting pictures.

I liked Liz's post about her reading of another blog about our blogging spaces. She did a great view of her own computer and how that is the center of her blogging world because she blogs everywhere. It becomes much more personal that way.

The first person I met at a plug-in is a venture capitalist with Bulldog Financial and today I met Matt Wood, he works in Chicago in business and is on track to pursue a PhD in Political Science. We're on opposite sides of the political spectrum but that's just fine. I saw on his blog a post about a St. Louis project having students using blogs and will have to check this out.

The conference only continues to get better. If you go to the blog site at Fast Company, you will find almost word-for-word transcriptions of some of the sessions.

I will have to do more on my blog of my professional thoughts relating to the study of history. I'm also thinking of doing a blog related just to the work on Teaching American History grants.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]