Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Special fashion message from profgirrrl

This applies to some of our students in Kansas, too . . . .

Playing School, Irreverently: "Special fashion message to approximately 1/6 of the female undergraduates of TU on the north side of campus today: cover up a bit. Really. This is winter. If you need a jacket, a crop top probably isn't the best idea underneath. And if you're shivering, that's a clue, too. Trust me, there's plenty of time during the year for us all to see your piercings, tatoos, thongs and belly skin. Actually, we really don't need to see your thong. I like low-rise jeans and showing my belly off as much as the next girl (and I admit to almost having an accidental thong showing myself last week, when I wore jeans that were too big and they kept falling down), but the classroom may not be the best place for it. Oh, and work those abs a bit before showing those abs. You're young. Do it now, while you can. It just gets harder. Trust me on that."

Comments:
Yes! Must post at Profgrrrl's too. My own twist on the dilemma is that, being a plumpish person, I'd never have had the courage to wear the midriff (and all-too-often serious abdominal roll) bearing clothes that many of my students wear. And I certainly know about the freshman 20. But there are times when I really just want to tell them that it's fine to be comfortable in your skin, but damn! You are already creaky and you're frequently ill, and I can tell you from painful experience that an extra 30 pounds is just not healthy. Do something now, because even if you do, those nasty fat cells will want to keep bulking up for all of your life. That infected tongue piercing can spread to your heart. The tattoos will not go away, and they will not be pretty when you have stretch marks running through them
I realize this is so not feminist, but I seriously worry about my students sometimes. As, I suppose, did our professors worry about us.
 
Sigh ... I think it applies to students everywhere these days.

ADM, I actually have no problem with anyone's less-than-perfect body showing -- HATE the idea of people starving themselves or having plastic surgery or whatever to meet some idea -- but I'm equally disturbed that the opposite approach seems to turn a blind eye toward fitness and eating appropriately. I didn't realize this when I was in college, and in a weird way I'm thankful that I got paranoid about my weight and used working out (in a reasonable way) to keep things under control. Over the years I lapsed, gained weight, and then managed to get back in shape. Even just a loss of 20 lbs (down to an "ideal" weight for me) has made such a difference -- blood pressure drops, allergies/sinus problems improved, more energy, etc.).

Oh, but the thong showing thing -- that really bothers me. And do we need so much skin in the classroom?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]