Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Chronicle Careers: 03/30/2005

Chronicle Careers: 03/30/2005: "I'm afraid that sometimes we academicians are so used to trafficking in pristine ideas that we forget about the harshness of the real world. And in the real world of academe, you need to be mobile."
--------------
I'm surprised it takes an entire article to come to this conclusion. The ivory tower world just works different than the business worlds and other worlds. I've moved three different times in my life for the sake of my academic career. It's just part of the deal. I also work in a university where in other fields, there is a conscious "grown your own" because of the vast difference in their balance of supply and demand compared to the humanities. If we could grown our own minority, it would be allowed, but that would be the extent of it. Would be interested to hear about the experiences of others.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]