Friday, March 25, 2005

Professional Page

Since its inception, I have edited the web page for the department. I remember the "old days" and not only having problems with html - which were eventually solved with Net Objects Fusion in one of its first incarnations - but with changing all the permission (read, write, execute) for each of the files via telnet. Those were the days. Luckily, another departmental webmaster was a big help (and is continuing to do great things via the computer and online access to campus information as assistant registrar.

The reason I used Net Objects was that it was the first program I cam across that attempted to design the whole site and not just one page at a time.

A few years ago, I switched over to Dreamweaver - primarily because of its "double view" of design and code so that I could learn more. I also keep planning to learn Flash and other programs that are now virtually web standards. CSS is also on the list but I need to play with it a bit to really understand it in practice and not just theory.

Now, there is yet another transition in my professional life - concentrating on my professional web page - which hasn't really existed until today. It's just the basic stuff. That's the only way to get it done. Later, I will go back and constantly tweak. My idol can be found here. I also wanted to get something up before my OAH presentation next week. I should have had this done before my 2 presentations at AHA but I'm getting there . . .

This is all symptomic of the another challenge in my professional life. I'm too busy doing and not doing enough writing about it. This blog is helping to change that - the only challenge with that being tipping your hand and/or having ideas stolen without even knowing it. And I think there are beginning to be some that might even be worth stealing. :-)

Another explanation for both the departmental page and the professional page being very plain: a few years ago there was a bureaucratic effort on campus for accessibility which was confused with standardization - so much so that the edicts being issued were non-compliant with the Microsoft read-aloud program for blind users. But that is water under the bridge.

But I've made one small step for my professional web page and one giant step for my professional goals this year.

And, yes, I am reading the JAH but will blog about that later. It is spring break, after all . . .

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]