Friday, June 24, 2005

The Cranky Professor: Virginia drops PRAXIS I requirement for teachers

The Cranky Professor: Virginia drops PRAXIS I requirement for teachers: "Virginia drops PRAXIS I requirement for teachers

This Washington Post story talks about the changing requirements for teachers in Virginia -- including dropping a math requirement for non-math teachers.

What's not at all clear from the article is what the 'Instead, they will have to pass a new 'literacy and communications skills' exam that will be introduced in January' is. Will it be a product of the ETS people, like Praxis? Will it be home-grown, in which case I dread the first 3 or 4 years of results and controversies.

I took the Praxis I a long time ago, by the way, and it really IS at the 8th-10th grade level (I was half-heartedly pursuing certification to teach high school Latin). If people can't pass it (the Post's anecdote has a PE teacher passing on her 6th attempt) they probably aren't capable of figuring their own grades."

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]