Sunday, April 09, 2006

I'm Still Here

I thought I would have more time to blog on the road but instead spent more time interacting with people at the conference and the committee meeting. Our grant teacher who presented at the National Council for History Education meeting did an outstanding job. Seeing the two presidential libraries - the LBJ in Austin and the George Bush Sr. in College Station - was one of the highlights as well as the road food we found that day. (interesting that google seems to be able to find everything . . . )

I was home for only about 12 hours when I headed out for DC for the second ACERA meeting. I looked forward to getting to know the other committee members better and was not disappointed. I was even invited to dinner by the boss and the restaurant across the street (which I had never noticed before) has a great view of the Archives.

On my way home, I stopped for a meeting in Kansas City that was equally as productive and demonstrated that I should not be shy about selling my skill sets in a variety of venues.

So, in some ways, a colleague's advice to be sure to mentally prepare for sabbatical has already provided a foundation of widespread roots from which my career and personal life can only grow. I'm more optimistic about my entire life as a whole than I have been in a long time (and didn't realize that until I was writing this).

Two recent articles on blogging - one in US News and another in the Washington Post - demonstrate that this interaction with colleagues (or perceived interaction since I don't have a site meter and haven't created the niches that other successful bloggers have) is well worth the investment of time and energy.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]