Saturday, March 17, 2007

Days 16&17

Harm de Blij was the speaker. The MSU Teachers for a New Era program were showcasing his book, Why Geography Matters. He was great at interacting with the audience, especially when he said that no matter what humans do to impact the environment, we would also "have to keep cows from farting."

He talked about the geological history of the earth and the worldwide connections that have resulted from previous geographical connections and then underscored the major points of his book. It provided a lot of food for thought and I have his book on my Amazon wishlist for when I return home.

Jerry Zahavi's formal presentation was also intriguing and provided a lot of food for thought for some projects with TAH teachers. At the very least, his integration of interviews into PowerPoints was inspiring - sometimes it's the simple things that work the best. (plus the "why didn't I think of that? . . ")

I picked up the rest of the MSU souvenir wear to take home - esp. those things that prominently display an "S" for my brother and a friend. I also found the Italian place where we ate dinner Thursday night and ate a quick lunch and also located the Italian market here. It's a shame so many average chains have all but wiped out the mom and pop-style Italian restaurants.

This afternoon I researched theses and dissertations written at MSU that focus on some aspect of history education and will get up to research those later today or tomorrow in preparation for my talk on Tuesday. I'm so glad that the library is open this weekend (it was closed most of last weekend because of the spring break holiday).

I also have some grant requests for proposals to review from the Department of Education and the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]