Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Emily Dickinson and Academic Life

I was reading the latest Chronicle that showed up in my mailbox. In reading the Observer column, That Side of Paradise, by Thomas Washington, I wanted to share his final paragraph.

While I contemplate, from my chair at the library reference desk, the other side of paradise (however delusional) inside the university walls, maybe I need to follow the example of Emily Dickinson, who left Mount Holyoke after just one year. Reclusive yet alive with imagination - she wrote poems on the back of candy bar wrappers - she created lifelong bliss within the confines of her own homestead in Amherst, Mass., just beyond the college gates.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]