Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

The turkey and stuffing are in the oven. The stuffing from inside the turkey is still my favorite.

This time last year I was very sad since I had had to say goodbye to my Shadow - my dog of 13 years who saw me through many life changes. In retrospect, I know it was time for him to go even though he as a hardy little trooper until the end.

Molly has now joined the family and has been with me for about 6 months. We're still both figuring each other out. I seem to always adopt somewhat stubborn dogs - a trait they share with their owner and which has both its good sides and its down sides. She's not sure what is going on in this morning but knows the routine is different. Poor girl doesn't know several other family members will be showing up in a few hours.

Yesterday, I learned what a sewage grinder pump is and had to run down to Ace Hardware to get one since it's not something the plumbers carry on their truck. Luckily, I didn't have to try to get the septic system cleaned out the day before a holiday - but that will be on my list over the next few weeks.

Mom is interested in staying more than one day so that is good. I am truly worried that this is our last year with her. I hope I am worrying for nothing. But, now that she is in her 70s and she is increasingly homebound by choice, I have to keep reminding myself as the adult child that these are her decisions. I still think a lot of her health issues are stress-related - that's why there has been no real cure. Much of my family internalizes too much stress and she is sadly the epitome of that. She pushed herself so hard for decades - in many ways she was a single mom given Dad's work being on the road 50,000 miles (driving) each year. And, she just wore out. Plus, she's decided she just has to do what she wants to do and not what anyone else thinks she has to do - something I wish I had learned earlier. (I'm still internalizing it, however.)

I'm watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade knowing that I'll be back in the Big Apple in just a short month. Hopefully the weather won't be too dreadful but New Years Eve will certainly be fun.

Today I'm thankful for health, family, friends, a job and a career, and the fact that we haven't suffered another 9/11 for over 7 years now. While not all of my friends may agree, I thank the Bush Administration for that and hopefully the new administration will continue that success. And, thanks for the troops protecting us around the world.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]