Friday, October 01, 2010

What October Means

October is one of my favorite months of the year. It means the brilliant color of fall leaves. It means my classes are "settled in" - students know what to expect and I've had a chance to start reading some of their work. Projects are underway and the leftovers of summer deadlines are usually fulfilled. The crisp morning air with brilliant sunshine during the day. (Seattle is a great place to visit but I'm not sure I'd want to live there because of the lack of brilliant sunshine.)

I can get up to work on the computer without worrying about it getting too hot too soon. I do wish daylight savings time still ended in October. And I do wish the mice didn't try to burrow in warmer spaces in the garage and house or look for water inside when we've had little rain.

My new position bring new duties. The responsibilities require even more forward thinking than my usual thinking too far head pattern. I'm enjoying being back at my university this fall. Energy is the in air. Maybe it's because the we've seemed to have beaten back the financial crisis. Students who were forced out of the full-time work force who have returned to us are not as surprised that it happened to them as they were two years ago. (We are trained for that kind of counseling.) Most of my colleagues are incorporating the changes we are facing with professional acceptance.

I'm still getting used to the Big Bang Theory being on Thursday night.

As I write this entry, I note that blogs now rely less on hyperlinking and more on reflection. The hyperlinking is now left to Twitter and Facebook. And one of my newest finds has been inspiring.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]